What is the Panel on the Future of the Trent-Severn Waterway?
The federal minister of the environment has appointed an independent panel to evaluate the future of the historic waterway and its potential. The panel will examine:
- How to protect and present the Waterway’s cultural heritage;
- Ways of assuring the future of the Waterway natural environment;
- How the Waterway can contribute to the present and future outdoor recreational needs of Canadians and particularly the growing and diverse population of the Greater Golden Horseshoe;
- A water management regime that is seen to meet the demands and expectations of a diverse array of stakeholders and needs;
- A framework for jurisdictional and inter-agency coordination and governance along the Waterway corridor;
- Ways in which the Waterway can contribute to economically sustainable communities, including the role of renewable energy; and,
- A sustainable funding framework.
This website will be regularly updated throughout the review process.